On putting people in boxes- here is what transpired recently – I was with two kindred souls sitting and having a nice hot cup of coffee. Both are exceptionally well off in their respective areas of expertise. One is a trend setter in the field of training /coaching and the other is a marketing and sales genius.
Now the coach uses his particular & unique style of coaching people to come out of their limiting beliefs. His style is unique however the human mind sees the uniqueness and starts to relatively compare it with other well known personalities. They put the uniqueness of that person in a box saying “you are like a “Dr Demartini” or you are like a “Richard Bandler”.
So much for relativity and the inherent desire to label people. Nothing wrong in pegging you with some great names. Now imagine the reverse of that- people usually downgrade and compare the other with themselves and feel better at the cost of discounting the worth of the other person .
I wondered to myself why cant each person be appreciated for what she is. Simply accepting as IT IS seems like such a task. Similarly the word enlightenment has been associated with connotations that make it impossible for everyday ordinary people to even go near it. It’s the phenomenal power of limiting beliefs that has created this.
- What does enlightenment mean to you?
- Have you ever wondered why you cannot be enlightened?
What if I told you that enlightenment is our very nature, it is what we are. Would you want to take my word and explore it further?
En-Lighten- is to shed light on. It is to give knowledge . It is to show light to someone. So you see it is not such a bigge after all- you have always been giving knowledge to someone through your work, through your love at home. You have been shedding light on how to do things better maybe or just being a guiding light to someone who needs you.
It is also all about light and if we had to follow few of the discoverers made todate we find that we are all made of light- We are light. If we are light then why do we find it so hard to believe it?
To get to the stage of empowering yourself to believe that you are light itself you will have to question each statement and reference point. When you see through the false illusions created by those beliefs you start the process of empowering yourself.
Now for those who have had enough of the above here are a few amazing insights on enlightenment from beings who know
That is the definition of enlightenment: everything is as it should be, everything is utterly perfect as it is. That feeling…and you are suddenly at home. Nothing is being missed. You are part, an organic part of this tremendous, beautiful whole. You are relaxed in it, surrendered in it. You don´t exist separately – all separation has disappeared.
A great rejoicing happens, because with the ego disappearing there is no worry left, with the ego disappearing there is no anguish left, with the ego disappearing there is no possibility of death any more. This is what enlightenment is. It is the understanding that all is good, that all is beautiful – and it is beautiful as it is. Everything is in tremendous harmony, in accord – OSHO
“Enlightenment is a destructive process. It
has nothing to do with becoming better or being happier. Enlightenment is the
crumbling away of untruth. It’s seeing
through the facade of pretence. It’s the
complete eradication of everything we
imagined to be true.” ― Adyashanti
“Enlightenment is: absolute cooperation with the inevitable.”― Anthony de Mello
Here is another way of using the Einstein’s equation of E=MC (squared) associate it and make a connection with enlightenment
Enlightenment equals mindfulness times square of consciousness
To a small extent we have intellectually read what enlightenment means. If we use the equation E=MC(squared) we see that it is not all that difficult. So the first step is we need to understand what is mindfulness and consciousness and we are on the way. So here are the typically labeled definitions of mindfulness and consciousness
- Mindfulness – a mental state achieved by focusing one’s awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting one’s feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations, used as a therapeutic technique
- Consciousness – Is the state or quality of awareness, or, of being aware of an external object or something within oneself. It has been defined as sentience, awareness, subjectivity, the ability to experience or to feel wakefulness, having a sense of selfhood
From this statement of Max Plank it is obvious that consciousness is very important “I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.” – Max Planck, theoretical physicist who originated quantum theory, which won him the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1918
Therefore the starting point is to acknowledge that we are all enlightened beings. It is a matter of understanding how we can live what we are. If you can use a high quality of consciousness/awareness (square it to be sure) and focus it (be mindful) of the present moment you have an excellent formula for enlightenment.
Simple steps to begin:-
1. Notice how you are conscious of the thoughts passing through you mind. Notice sometimes you are not doing anything and your consciousness or awareness is just floating around without being focused
2. Now focus your awareness to observe the present moment. Observe the sensations occurring in your body (you can go for a Vipassana course to practice this technique). Observe your breath, observe every action you are taking- if you are walking observe how it feels
3. Spend some time everyday being aware with your mind and experience living an enlightened life
The by products of being acutely aware with your mind of the present moment are-
- Wisdom of our own ignorance
- Insights about our limiting beliefs
- Tremendous amounts of unlimited energy
- Abundance of love & light in every major area of your life
- Most importantly you will not get swayed by the high’s and low’s of life situations- you will be centred and in harmony with life itself.
Cant help but quote Anthony Demello “Wisdom tends to grow in proportion to one’s awareness of one’s ignorance.”
― Anthony de Mello, One Minute Wisdom
Wish you the very best
I am sure you would want to post your comments and leave a reply with your take on Enlightenment. I look forward to a mindful exchange of thoughts & dropping of old concepts here